Saturday, January 9, 2016
We have a great new venue for our meetings. We will meet at the Kalamazoo Public Library Central Branch. Saturday January 23, 2016.
Here is information on location and parking options. http://www.kpl.gov/central/map.aspx.
Parking meters are free on the weekends so you don't need to "feed" them.
For the January meeting we will meet in the Van Deusen room.
We have the room starting at 9am-1pm. So feel free to come early and stay late. Official meeting from 10am-noon.
We also have a sew-in following every meeting at Bernina starting at 1pm. So plenty of time to enjoy lunch downtown followed by some group sewing.
See you soon.
Tuesday, January 5, 2016
Happy 2016! Hope you all enjoyed the holidays and are slowly getting back into "real" life...I know it's been a struggle at my house!
The block this month is a little different--it's done in quilt-as-you-go style, so the winner will have less work to do (beyond figuring out how they want to join pre-quilted blocks!). I was asked to make one of these blocks for my do.Good stitches circle and I enjoyed it so much, I'm sharing it with all of you.
Find the tutorial on Cori's Hey Let's Make Stuff blog here.
The plan:The block should be 12-1/2" square unfinished.
Use a piece of muslin for the back and batting for the center. I started with a 15" square piece of each, knowing that I'd be trimming the block down at the end; you can begin with smaller pieces (I'd go at least 13" square for wiggle room) and not trim so much.
Please make your block using one color plus low volume/whites and blacks/whites and grays. The idea is to start with the darkest pieces in the middle and work your way out to lighter shades and then the white/low volume. I basically did one "round" of each.
I quilted mine with a neutral thread and used the width of my walking foot as the spacing for the lines.
I meant to take more process shots, but got carried away sewing and forgot. Here are a couple:
|Starting the lighter colored round|
|Adding the low volume prints|
Just for fun, I put together 9 of my block digitally to see what a quilt would look like:
- Submit a photo of the completed block by January 23rd. We want this to be fun and easy, not stressful, so we have several options for submitting your photo.
- If you have a Flickr account, please post the photo to Flickr, add it to the Great Lakes Modern Quilt Guild group pool, and tag it GLMQG012016. *Adding the tag is key, because it allows the photo to get into the slideshow on our blog.*
- If you have a Facebook account, you may post the picture to the Great Lakes Modern Quilt Guild Facebook page.
- You may email your photo to email@example.com
- If you do not have access to a digital camera, contact me (Lisa) and I will arrange to photograph your block.
- How to win all the blocks:
- We are going to draw for a winner of all the blocks at our next live meeting, which is January 23rd. You do not need to be present to win.
- IMPORTANT: If you want to be entered in the drawing but will not be at the meeting with your block, please make sure to let another attendee know. We try our best to make sure everyone who submits a photo of their block gets entered in the drawing, but making sure a friend puts your name in the hat will guarantee you have a chance to win!
- You get your name in the drawing each time you enter a block. So, if you submit two blocks, your name goes in the drawing twice!
- Please bring your completed block to the January meeting so all the blocks can be delivered to the winner. If the winner is not at the meeting, we will mail them to him/her.
- We'll post the name of the winner here on the blog. So, if we don't have your email address, check the blog so you can see if you won and can send us your contact information. (If you are at the meeting, you'll get your blocks on the spot!)
- If you will not be at the meeting, either
- Give the block to a friend to bring it for you, or
- Mail it in. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll send you the mailing address where you can send your blocks.
- That winner must assemble the blocks into a finished quilt before being eligible to win again. Fair enough?
As always, leave a comment if you have a question and I'll try to answer it!
Can't wait to see your blocks at the end of the month!
Thursday, December 10, 2015
I have to say that everyone did a fantastic job on their mug rugs! Just amazing work and so much fun!!!
After you see all the photos, be sure you look at the end of this post for some announcements and information.
|Ready to swap!|
|Check out the great matching of those mitered corners and stripes!|
|Fun flying geese!|
|This one was double sided...here is one side...Coffee!|
|And here is the other side....Wine!|
|This is a Van Gogh mug...the handle is in the shape of an ear, and when you pour hot liquid in it, the picture on the mug changes. The ear disappears!|
|It's so good to be queen!|
|Cotton + Steel Hexie!|
|Dear Santa, I can explain. This got a real roar!|
|Another two sided mug rug. Morning coffee.|
|The back side...evening wine!|
|This one had Japanese fabrics carried back from Japan!|
|Kaffe! Love the green and blue together.|
|Beautiful brights....English paper piecing. Love how the mug and rug coordinate.|
|Beautiful Michigan colors!|
|We all want to try this strategy for attaching hexies to a base.|
|Love how the mug rug mimics crystals!|
|Check out these flying geese that are prairie points!|
|Beautiful bright scrappy piecing!|
|Another bunch of calm, soothing colors in spinning wheels. This one was a doubler.|
|Love the llama. And I'm partial to the black and gold, being a Hawkeye fan!|
|Put the pedal to the metal!|
A few notes:
In 2016, all of our formal meetings will be held at the public library in downtown Kalamazoo. We'll start our meetings at 10:00 am. The room will be open as early as 9:00, so if you want to come and visit before the meeting, please feel free to do so!
We have sew in scheduled following each formal meeting next year. Those will be held at Bernina.
We have a great program planned for you in 2016. Pam and Sharon are awesome and really have a great lineup for us!
Have a very happy holiday. For those of you who are traveling, please travel safely. Can't wait to see you all in the new year!
Hugs and Stitches,