Paper Pieced Kaleidoscope Block
I demonstrated this block in the September meeting. If you did not attend, no worries! I'm attaching the step-by-step instructions here.
Make one or more blocks, finished size 6' (6.5") using the paper pattern I passed out at the meeting, also downloadable here.
Make sure you use white and a bright modern print for the main sections, and light-to-medium grey for the corner pieces. I used Kona "Iron" in these blocks, please make sure your grey is no darker than that. Grey or white patterns that "read" solid grey or white are acceptable.
Notice how my blocks alternate which section is next to the grey: in the first photo, the colorful fabric does; in the second, the white fabric does. If you make more than one block please alternate in this way. This is how we will get a wonderful kaleidoscope effect when all the blocks are put together!
- Submit a photo of the completed block by November 22. We want this to be fun and easy, not stressful, so we have several options for submitting your photo.
- If you have a Flickr account, please post the photo to Flickr, add it to the Great Lakes Modern Quilt Guild group pool, and tag it GLMQG-Oct13
- If you have a Facebook account, you may post the picture to the Great Lakes Modern Quilt Guild Facebook page.
- You may email your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you do not have access to a digital camera, contact me (Carolyn) and I will arrange to photograph your block.
- How to win all the blocks:
- We are going to draw for a winner of all the blocks at our next live meeting, which is November 23. You do not need to be present to win.
- You get your name in the drawing each time you enter a block. So, if you submit two blocks, your name goes in the drawing twice!
- Please bring your completed block to the November meeting so all the blocks can be delivered to the winner. If the winner is not at the meeting, we will mail them to him/her.
- We'll post the name of the winner here on the blog. So, if we don't have your email address, check the blog so you can see if you won and can send us your contact information. (If you are at the meeting, you'll get your blocks on the spot!)
- If you will not be at the meeting, either
- Give the block to a friend to bring it for you, or
- Mail it in. E-mail us at email@example.com, and we'll send you the mailing address where you can send your blocks.
- That winner must assemble the blocks into a finished quilt before being eligible to win again. Fair enough?