We started talking about this month's block back at our September meeting. Can you believe it's January now?!?
This month's activity was inspired by a quilt in the Autumn 2013 issue of Quilter's World magazine using all different kinds of framed nine-patches. The quilt is called "Inside the Box" and was designed by Jenny Rekeweg.
The idea is simple. Make a nine-patch of any size and frame it. Your block should measure 12-1/2" square. The nine-patch section can be larger (the one below uses 3" squares):
or smaller (this one uses 1-1/2" squares).
Make your nine-patch and then add "borders" or a frame so the block measures 12-1/2" square. If you don't want to think about the math, stitch on larger borders and trim the block as needed. Center your nine-patch, offset it, put a frame around just three sides, or make a 12-1/2" nine-patch with no frame at all. Everyone's blocks will be different, and that's part of the beauty of this idea!
For fabrics, please use solids only. I chose the solids below as the palette: a mocha, a plum, a butter yellow, light turquoise, rust, and an olive green. You can find these exact fabrics at Bernina Sewing Center, where I purchased them, or use fabrics you already have that fall near these hues.
If you have questions about the design, feel free to email me (lisaeruble at gmail.com) and I'll explain more; I can even put up some additional digital block examples too.
Now for the details on how to win the blocks:
- Submit a photo of the completed block by January 23. We want this to be fun and easy, not stressful, so we have several options for submitting your photo.
- If you have a Flickr account, please post the photo to Flickr, add it to the Great Lakes Modern Quilt Guild group pool, and tag it GLMQG012015. *Adding the tag is key, because it allows the photo to get into the slideshow on our blog.*
- If you have a Facebook account, you may post the picture to the Great Lakes Modern Quilt Guild Facebook page.
- You may email your photo to email@example.com
- If you do not have access to a digital camera, contact me (Lisa) and I will arrange to photograph your block.
- How to win all the blocks:
- We are going to draw for a winner of all the blocks at our next live meeting, which is January 24. You do not need to be present to win.
- IMPORTANT: If you want to be entered in the drawing but will not be at the meeting with your block, please make sure to let another attendee know. We try our best to make sure everyone who submits a photo of their block gets entered in the drawing, but making sure a friend puts your name in the hat will guarantee you have a chance to win!
- You get your name in the drawing each time you enter a block. So, if you submit two blocks, your name goes in the drawing twice!
- Please bring your completed block to the January meeting so all the blocks can be delivered to the winner. If the winner is not at the meeting, we will mail them to him/her.
- We'll post the name of the winner here on the blog. So, if we don't have your email address, check the blog so you can see if you won and can send us your contact information. (If you are at the meeting, you'll get your blocks on the spot!)
- If you will not be at the meeting, either
- Give the block to a friend to bring it for you, or
- Mail it in. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll send you the mailing address where you can send your blocks.
- That winner must assemble the blocks into a finished quilt before being eligible to win again. Fair enough?
As always, leave a comment if you have a question and I'll try to answer it!