If you were at our April social meeting (or on Facebook), you got a sneak peek of this!
Our online block activity for May uses made fabric.
Sew a 6-1/2" square of made fabric using brights (if you need tips, visit Victoria Findlay Wolfe's site). Use it as the center of your block, making star points from solid black and choosing a low volume print (text or otherwise) as the background.
Your flying geese units should measure 3-1/2" x 6-1/2" unfinished. If you make them using the quick corners method, start with a 6-1/2" background rectangle and two 3-1/2" black squares for each flying geese unit. The background corners should also be 3-1/2" squares.
The block should measure 12-1/2" square unfinished.
Tip: Make a made fabric square larger than 6-1/2" and then trim to the correct size.
- Submit a photo of the completed block by May 20th. We want this to be fun and easy, not stressful, so we have several options for submitting your photo.
- If you have a Flickr account, please post the photo to Flickr, add it to the Great Lakes Modern Quilt Guild group pool, and tag it GLMQG052016. *Adding the tag is key, because it allows the photo to get into the slideshow on our blog.*
- If you have a Facebook account, you may post the picture to the Great Lakes Modern Quilt Guild Facebook page.
- You may email your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you do not have access to a digital camera, contact me (Lisa) and I will arrange to photograph your block.
- How to win all the blocks:
- We are going to draw for a winner of all the blocks at our next live meeting, which is May 21st. You do not need to be present to win.
- IMPORTANT: If you want to be entered in the drawing but will not be at the meeting with your block, please make sure to let another attendee know. We try our best to make sure everyone who submits a photo of their block gets entered in the drawing, but making sure a friend puts your name in the hat will guarantee you have a chance to win!
- You get your name in the drawing each time you enter a block. So, if you submit two blocks, your name goes in the drawing twice!
- Please bring your completed block to the May meeting so all the blocks can be delivered to the winner. If the winner is not at the meeting, we will mail them to him/her.
- We'll post the name of the winner here on the blog. So, if we don't have your email address, check the blog so you can see if you won and can send us your contact information. (If you are at the meeting, you'll get your blocks on the spot!)
- If you will not be at the meeting, either
- Give the block to a friend to bring it for you, or
- Mail it in. E-mail us at email@example.com, and we'll send you the mailing address where you can send your blocks.
- That winner must assemble the blocks into a finished quilt before being eligible to win again. Fair enough?
As always, leave a comment if you have a question and I'll try to answer it!