It's Lisa here with our January online activity. Is it just me, or did December and the holidays go especially fast this year?
I try to have a sample block done to show when I do these posts, but I'm so late in getting this up, and now with the *lovely* weather outside, I wanted to get it up ASAP in case you are housebound from the cold and snow and want to SEW!!!
Our block for the January meeting: the wonky star! (Shown in digital form...I'll be sewing mine later this week!)
You can find the tutorial for this from Shanna at Fiber of All Sorts. She has the directions for 12.5" unfinished blocks. She's also got cutting information for 6.5" unfinished blocks. You can either make a 12.5" block or you can make four 6.5" blocks and join them together to make a four-patch of stars.
So to recap:
|One 12.5" star block|
|If you're really ambitious, follow the cutting for the 6.5" star blocks and join four together to make a four-patch star block, as shown above. This will count as 1 block for the drawing.|
Anything you like, but let's switch it up from Shanna's original. Make your star white and the background the print or colored solid fabric, as I've shown in my illustrations. Please do use the same fabric for the entire background in each star block though.
- Submit a photo of the completed block by January 24. We want this to be fun and easy, not stressful, so we have several options for submitting your photo.
- If you have a Flickr account, please post the photo to Flickr, add it to the Great Lakes Modern Quilt Guild group pool, and tag it GLMQG-Jan14
- If you have a Facebook account, you may post the picture to the Great Lakes Modern Quilt Guild Facebook page.
- You may email your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you do not have access to a digital camera, contact me (Lisa) and I will arrange to photograph your block.
- How to win all the blocks:
- We are going to draw for a winner of all the blocks at our next live meeting, which is January 25. You do not need to be present to win.
- You get your name in the drawing each time you enter a block. So, if you submit two blocks, your name goes in the drawing twice!
- Please bring your completed block to the January meeting so all the blocks can be delivered to the winner. If the winner is not at the meeting, we will mail them to him/her.
- We'll post the name of the winner here on the blog. So, if we don't have your email address, check the blog so you can see if you won and can send us your contact information. (If you are at the meeting, you'll get your blocks on the spot!)
- If you will not be at the meeting, either
- Give the block to a friend to bring it for you, or
- Mail it in. E-mail us at email@example.com, and we'll send you the mailing address where you can send your blocks.
- That winner must assemble the blocks into a finished quilt before being eligible to win again. Fair enough?